What I've Learned By Turning 23 | #OOTD

August 26, 2016









Dress: H&M | Sunglasses: Quay | Clutch: Revolve | Earrings: Gorjana | Heels: Steven Madden | Watch: Michael Kors

They say after you turn 21, birthdays just seem to go downhill from there. I'd like to disagree. I had the pleasure of having my first adult surprise party this year, thanks to my best friend. I normally hate surprises (#controlfreakproblems) and for anyone to go out of their way for me, but it was such a relief and a ton of fun to have a real party with all my friends together to celebrate.

Though I may or may not be wiser than when I was 21, I definitely have grew as person over the past couple of years. I've learned a lot about myself and have begun to understand who I truly am as an independent woman. It's no surprise that after graduating college that you start to question who you are and what exactly it is you want in life. You may not figure it out straight away, and that's okay! I certainly haven't. The most important thing that I learned was that my happiness is the most important thing to me. All my life I spent so much time trying to please others before myself, but when you're in your twenties, there will never be a better time to be selfish. Most people look at being selfish as a negative, but sometimes it can be a good thing! I'm not saying being selfish in a way where no one else in your life matters and you can hurt the people you love around you. However, being selfish in a way that makes your happiness and future self a priority: going after an awesome job even if it's across the country, or being straightforward with your feelings of the person you like right now. Whatever makes you wake up with a smile and proud of yourself, no matter how selfish you have to be, there's no better time to do it than now.

I know this went a little deep a typical Outfit of the Day post, but I think it's an important reminder that you have to wake up with yourself everyday of your life and your happiness is the only thing that can get you through it. I want to leave you with my one of my favorite quotes Robin Williams character said from my favorite movie, Dead Poets Society:
"To quote from Whitman, 'O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?' Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"

What's the most important thing you've learned growing up?

xo,
embur.

youtube | twitter | instagram | facebook | tumblr | pinterest | bloglovin

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment –– I do read every single one!

I will always check out the blogs of people who leave thoughtful and genuine comments & comment back when possible, so please do not spam.