The Sunday Post: Keep Dancing

April 13, 2015




There's a reason that I haven't been active here on my blog or my YouTube lately, and it's not that I got writer's block or lazy. My entire past few weeks - especially this week - have been consumed with dance. I also realize that this is going up after Sunday, but I'm getting to that. For those readers that don't know, I have been dancing since I was 3 years old, so clearly it has been a huge part of my life. This past weekend was my university's dance company's showcase. All 90 girls in the company have been working and practicing for this show since August. It's such a huge deal to everyone and especially to the seniors.

I was supposed to graduate in May of 2015, but transferring universities and adding a second major, it just really put me behind so I have to add one year, making me a super senior and graduating in May of 2016. It feels very strange saying "Class of 2016", because I always thought I'd be Class of 2015. Granted, I am sort of glad I have an extra year, so now I can save up more money and have more time to figure out what in the world I am doing after graduation. However, I knew when it came to my dance showcase, I wanted to perform with my seniors. I wanted to perform with the Class of 2015. I wanted to be in their last dance with them, even though, it wouldn't necessarily be mine. So even though I wasn't going to be graduating, it still meant so much to me to do their senior dance (see first picture above) because these were some of the girls I fist met when I joined this organization. Most of these girls were some of my best friends that I have had in college, so not dancing along their side like I have been for the past three years that I have been apart of this organization, I know it's going to be very different and very hard. Whenever I doubted myself, I turned to them. Whenever I needed to laugh, I turned to them. Whenever I had to vent, I turned to them. Whenever I needed a true friend that could except me for who I am, I always knew I could turn to them. I have great and fantastic friends all over, and even some that I have known exceptionally longer, but having a friend that expresses their emotions the same way you do through dance, that connection is very special to me. There is truly nothing else in the world like that feeling when you can pour heart and soul into a dance and have someone else by your side knowing exactly what you are feeling in that moment. Dance is such a rare language that I was able to finally speak fluently because of these girls.

Growing up, I was never that girl that got along with other girls. I had no clue why girls never liked me. I even had a lot of girls who constantly bullied me. Besides my best friend that I met in my ballet class when I was 3 (who is still my best friend to this day), I never made any true long-lasting friendships in any of my dance classes. So to have a group of at least 90 girls as my friends - but these 10 particularly - no one truly knows how much that means to me. I know that whenever I look back at my time in university, I will think of all of these girls and my time with them. Through the late night practices in the tiny studio above the gym and the itchy sequin costumes, this group of girls will always be my family. I honestly owe them so much because they brought me back to life, and I have no idea where I would be in my college career without them.

I didn't mean to get all sappy, because that's definitely not me, or to write a novel for you. I just really wanted to take this time and this post to really dedicate it to these girls. That is also why this is going up a day late because I couldn't being myself to pour all this out at first, and I wanted it to be perfect for these girls. They truly don't know how much they have helped me grow as a person and really helped me find out who I am. I would have been lost without some of these girls by my side, and I am so thrilled that I get a round two with them next year. I'm certainly no where near done with them yet, and I know we have lot more dance left to go.

xo,
embur.


4 comments :

  1. I danced from 3-18 and I really regret stopping last year. Never give up on dancing, your passion keeps you going :) x
    www.hannahjanewilliams.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely, so glad it went well!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment –– I do read every single one!

I will always check out the blogs of people who leave thoughtful and genuine comments & comment back when possible, so please do not spam.