Breaking Bad Beauty Habits

March 17, 2015

Photography by Julia Minamata
Photography by Julia Minamata

Today I have decided to take a break on talking about makeup products and do something about me. I have seen a lot of bloggers lately talking about some bad beauty habits that they have, and most have made me realize I'm not quite alone with mine. There's something nice about knowing someone else has your weird little quirks. With that being said, I am going to share with you all my bad beauty habits, and maybe you have the same ones as me!

1. Picking off my mascara
Probably my worst habit of all. I don't know why or how I started it. I just pick out the mascara clumps, and then next, my lashes are bare. I notice I do it whenever I'm bored in class or reading. Just by typing this makes me want to start picking at them. It's definitely a habit I need to stop because it's probably the reason I have such short lashes, and I'm also tired of clumps falling into my eyes and black flakes on my cheeks.

2. Neglecting heat protectant
Every single time after I get my hair trimmed, I make a promise to myself to always use heat protectant. Then one morning I start running late, neglect to use it, and fry my hair with my straightener. It's all down hill from there. This is one habit I need to fix ASAP because my hair is becoming so terribly damaged and dry at the ends. Although I really do need to just find a heat protectant that I actually like.

3. Not cleaning my brushes frequently
Literally the number one thing that I hate doing the most when it comes to my makeup, and I'm probably not the only one. It just takes forever since I use shampoo and water from the sink and I have so many usually to clean. I usually will clean them before I do a tutorial or I notice a couple breakouts on my face. Clean skin = No cleaning. At least for me it is, but now that sounds a bit gross, so I need to really work on that.

4. Forgetting to moisturize my body
I moisturize the hell out of my face twice a day, but I always forget to do the rest of my body. It's not that I don't have enough lotion because I'm at the point where I have too much. I think it's just because I'm simply too lazy. However, lately I have been moisturizing my legs and the back of my arms more to reduce and calm my KP. My feet are impossible to stay moisturized, so I probably should work on that since my feet are very important to me since I'm also a dancer.

5. Not washing my hair enough
Now a lot of people would think that washing your hair at least once a week is disgusting and a bad beauty habit to break. However, I actually don't. I have extremely thick hair and it's naturally dry and somewhat coarse. It literally takes about a week for my hair to start getting oily, and that's without using dry shampoo. It's actually terrible to wash your hair everyday, so usually people will do it every other day or every two days, but I hate doing it so if I do not have to, I won't. So actually, this is a "bad beauty habit" that I don't plan on fixing. Sorry not sorry!

6. Picking at my freaking nails
Can you tell that I hate that I do this? I can't help it though, once the polish starts chipping, it's like crack and I can't stop! It's not only my nail polish that I pick at, I will usually pick at the skin around my nails too. This is usually if the skin is dry and peeling around my nails, especially like they do around my thumbs all the time. I think that's a genetic problem, and picking at the skin is also the sign of an anxiety disorder. I'm not 100% sure about that, but that's really interesting if it is. Definitely something I should probably work on, but I don't see it happening in the near future. It's my main tick and basically a part of me now.

So that is all of my terrible habits that hopefully I can break soon. I always try to, but some of them feel like they are a part of me now and I won't be able to quit. C'est la vie. What are some bad beauty habits that you want to break?

xo,
embur.

6 comments :

  1. I do all these :( such a great post idea. Except I don't pick at my nails. WHy do we do this. behave ourselves ladies aha

    https://www.bloglovin.com/people/manishaanwari2-11510825

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I feel like it's like how every new year people always say that they're going to stop procrastinating, but they never do—that's how I feel about these beauty habits

      Delete
  2. Haha i feel like I can relate to so many of these! Cleaning brushes is the worst, and moisturizing my body almost never happens. But don't start washing your hair more often!! I wish I could get down to once a week. I'm stuck at every other day for now...

    www.tailoredandtrue.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh trust me I don't plan on washing my hair more! That's one thing I am eternally grateful for haha

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I'm bad at using heat protectant - it's tucked away at the back of my cupboard. Thanks for the reminder :)

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, darling! I just keep my sitting out on my counter so I don't forget anymore :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment –– I do read every single one!

I will always check out the blogs of people who leave thoughtful and genuine comments & comment back when possible, so please do not spam.