How To: Fix Broken Eyeshadow

February 10, 2015

 

When I first received my Lorac Pro palette in the mail from Ulta, the black shadow in it was already halfway broken. Although you can usually return it to Ulta and get a brand new one that is unbroken, I was on a tight schedule at the time and getting ready to leave for London in the following couple of days. I specifically order the palette at the time because I wanted to take it to London. I loathe ordering makeup online because of the fear of this happening.

For a while now, the unbroken half has held together, so I felt no need to fix it. However, lately, it has started to crumble more and has been getting all over my vanity and the other shadows. I finally caved and decided to fix this shadow myself, even though I was terrified because I love this shadow. It is my favorite black shadow because it is a true matte black, and it so buttery and pigmented that it is perfect for eyeliner. Now that I have fixed it myself, I am going to walk you through it and show you exactly how I did it.


MATERIALS NEEDED:
- Broken eyeshadow
- 70% Alcohol (I used a spray bottle, but you can use a normal bottle and purchase a separate mini spray bottle or dropper)
- Bobby pins
- A coin the size of the shadow
- A tissue to cover the coin 


First, take a bobby pin and crush the eyeshadow into a fine powder.

This part killed me a little on the inside, because I knew that there was no going back now. It's important to make sure that you crush up all the clumps so that the shadow is in a fine powder. This part is also extremely messy, so take my advice and make sure you have a paper towel underneath, unlike what I did. A lot of tutorials show them using a pencil, but I particularly did not want lead in my makeup, so I opted for the bobby pin. It does the exact same thing that you need a pencil to do in this situation.


Second, spray the 70% alcohol onto the crushed powder. 

Don't worry, this perfectly safe. I have seen many tutorials that suggest spraying the alcohol onto the shadow, hence why I decided to try it this way. I personally did not find this way to be sufficient. I felt like all it did was spray the shadow out of the pan and create a larger mess. It did not seem like the shadow was getting damp at all, and sprayed more alcohol on the palette itself. I will show in a next step what I did instead.

If you do decide to do it this way, be cautious. I covered the other shadows and made sure it didn't get all over them. I also decided to wear gloves because I had cuts on my thumbs and getting alcohol sprayed on them just did not sound pleasant. 


If the spray method does not work for you, try a dropper or a straw.

Like I said above, I felt like the shadow did not get as wet with the spray as I have seen in other tutorials. Since I did not have a dropper on hand, I used a plastic straw. All I did was place my finger on one end of the straw, while I sprayed the alcohol down the straw. I then, slowly, let the alcohol drip past my finger, so I wouldn't get the shadow too wet. I made it so all the eyeshadow was wet, but not swimming in alcohol. 


After whichever method you choose, press down on the shadow with a tissue covered coin for 30 seconds.

I personally used 5 pence because I randomly had some British coins lying near by, and 5p is smaller than an American dime, I believe. The only reason I wrapped it in tissue was to: 1. I didn't want any germs on the coin to get on the shadow. 2. Since my shadow was in a square pan, the tissue helped stick down the shadow in the stubborn corners. 

To be honest, I did not hold my coin down for 30 seconds. I did let the eyeshadow soak up the powder a little bit before pressing down on it. However, I did just do a rough guesstimate on the time limit, so feel free to do that if you wish, but best advice would be to actually hold it down for 30 seconds.


After that, I let it dry and we were done! I went out for a couple hours and let mine dry over that time. I assumed from spraying the alcohol, and also from me constantly dropping the palette, made me lose more shadow than I thought. I think that you can definitely tell that this shadow is messed up. You can tell that I had to fix it. I mainly think it just looks like it has been used and how an eyeshadow would normally appear when you hit pan. At least it went back together and I don't have to worry about it constantly falling out anymore. There was some fall out afterwards still, but not as much as before I fixed it. 

The pigmentation was still there, but I feel like it was a lot darker before. It still had that buttery feeling that a lot of Lorac eyeshadows have. I think that I will definitely still use it as an eyeliner. Overall, I would advise you not to break the shadow in the first place, especially a black one. This was such a pain to clean up after. Needless to say, I'll be cleaning up black eyeshadow off my counter for a while now. This stuff gets everywhere. I am definitely interested to see how this would work if I had a lot more broken eyeshadow, just to see if it would still perfectly match the other shadows in the palette.

Let me know if you guys have tried this and how it worked out for you in the comments below!

xo,
embur.

  

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment –– I do read every single one!

I will always check out the blogs of people who leave thoughtful and genuine comments & comment back when possible, so please do not spam.