Love Your Selfie

March 18, 2014

The video I posted this week on my YouTube channel is a project that I have been thinking about a lot lately. It's a subject that is close to my heart and I really want to share it with you guys. 



I think it's really important for girls of all ages, they don't necessarily have to be in their teens or preteens, even twentysomethings and older women need to be told that they are beautiful, because they truly are. The pressure that society puts on girls to look a certain way is ridiculous. We're told that we must look like the girls in the magazines, when really the girls in the magazines don't even look like that.  I believe that girls today need to be taught how to have confidence and a higher self-esteem. I was a victim of all this pressure myself. I was bullied growing up for my looks. I didn't fit in. I had braces, frizzy hair, and not wearing makeup to cover up my dark circles didn't help. It really put down my self-esteem. I grew up thinking that I was this hideous person, when in reality I wasn't. But bullying is another topic for another time. Anyways, as I got older, I slowly (and I mean very slowly) started gaining a bit more confidence and higher self-esteem in myself. Yes, there are still things that I don't like about myself and wish I could change. I think even the most confident people are still like that. But, I still hold a great confidence in me. I refuse to let anyone tell me that I am not beautiful. No matter what they say, that still doesn't change what I think of myself. There may be ten thousand other girls that are way prettier than me, I know for a fact there are, but that still doesn't change what I think of myself. That shouldn't change what anybody thinks of themselves. 

Confidence is true beauty. If you don't have confidence, then no one is every going to get the chance to really see how beautiful you are. You hear guys say all the time that confidence is sexy and that's because it is! For once, guys are actually right about something. Jokes. However, in all honesty, it is true though. If you don't believe in yourself, and if you don't love yourself, then how can anyone else?  I know I make it sound so easy, but it's not. Like I said, it wasn't until recently that I truly started believing in myself. It takes time. There are still things today that I don't like about myself. For example, I wish I had more muscle in my abs, I wish my nose was a bit smaller, I even wish I had bigger boobs (but I think almost every girl wishes for that). Two of those I could change if I wanted to and had the money, but instead, I've saved money and just accepted it. I used to hate my freckles and would want to cake on makeup to cover them up. I would go to class with so much foundation and powder on. Now, I love them! When I go to class, all you'll see me wear is some concealer, eyeliner, and mascara. Sometimes I don't even wear any at all, because I love my skin. If someone doesn't like my natural look, oh well, I wasn't trying to impress them anyways. Granted, I was lucky to never have an acne problem. I never had acne growing up or now. Yes, like every human being, I get one or two spots on my face when I am stressed, but that's about it. Other than that, I work really hard to keep my skin clean. I follow a rigorous skin routine every morning and night. I even have a pamper night once a week where I really just go to town on cleaning my skin. I care about my skin and constantly want what's best for it.

I'm not shunning makeup or saying that you should just take care of skin and that will fix all your problems. I know that it's not that easy for some people. I know that clear skin doesn't fix everyones problems. I know that people who even have the clearest skin don't think that they are beautiful, but that's not true. Instead of hiding the light inside of you that's dying to shine, let it out and shine even a little brighter. But whether you accept the way you look and choose not to wear makeup, or simply just wear makeup, just make sure that confidence is the foundation to your look. Accept that you will never look like that girl in the magazine. Embrace how you look. Remember that makeup should only be to enhance your natural features. Any look can be beautiful with a smile. And always shine brighter.

I hope you guys like my video, please feel free to give it a thumbs up if you want to see more stuff like it, or even more posts like this one. Also, subscribe for future videos while you are there. I really hope you guys are excited for new videos in a series like it.

xo, embur.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment –– I do read every single one!

I will always check out the blogs of people who leave thoughtful and genuine comments & comment back when possible, so please do not spam.