I Met RJ Mitte!

March 20, 2014


Last night, I had the unbelievable chance to meet the famous, RJ Mitte. He came to my university to give a speech on overcoming adversity, like his cerebral palsy. 

For those of you that don't know who RJ Mitte is, he is known for his supporting role on the hit television show Breaking Bad starring Bryan Cranston. On the show, RJ played Bryan Cranston's son, Walter White JR, or as he liked to have been called, Flynn. Breaking Bad was an American television show on AMC about a high school chemistry teacher (Cranston) that has been diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer, and turns to making and selling meth to support his family and pay for chemotherapy. 

Last night I got to listen to him give a speech about overcoming adversity. He first talked about he dealt with cerebral palsy growing up, and how he got to where he is now with it. He mentioned that everybody has there own disability; whether it's physical, mental, or just something personal that they have to overcome, and no one should hold that against them. Typically people seem to think that someone with a medical disorder like cerebral palsy, autism, or any medical disability like that should just stay at home and play XBOX all day, and not have the opportunity to go out and explore the world. He said that shouldn't be the case. They deserve to get to go out and live their life, and everyone is capable of that no matter what. There is nothing that I couldn't agree more with. The more he talked about what he did to get to where he is now was inspirational. He never let anyone tell him he couldn't chase his dreams. The amount of perseverance that he had growing up, not only to just not let cerebral palsy define who is, but to become an actor with cerebral palsy and beat the odds. 

Listening to his story, I like to say it kind of reflected back on my life as well. Now I've never had any kind of disorder like that, but I do constantly struggled with severe anxiety and ADHD. I have had several people before say that my panic attacks are a cry for attention and ADHD isn't a "real disorder". I don't think anybody can say that until they walk in my shoes. It doesn't matter if someone else has ADHD and anxiety as well, they will never know what I personally go through, and I the same with them. Which is one thing that he mentioned in his speech last night. You never know what someone else is going through and what there life is like, so for someone to go out and target you and go against you for your own disability is wrong on so many levels. 

After he gave his speech, we got to have Q&A with him. Half of the questions were about Breaking Bad, the others were mainly about cerebral palsy. For those of you that are wondering what his favorite breakfast food is, it's bacon. Someone even asked him how many times has he seen Bryan Cranston in his underwear. 

After his Q&A, we got to have a meet and greet with him. He was so nice and willing to talk to everybody. Of course by the time I got up there, I had no idea what I was going to say. All I did was simply tell him everything he said was so inspirational. I told him how I have to deal with my anxiety and acting, and how I have to push myself to not to care what people think of my performance otherwise I become a nervous wreck. He told me that it does take time to build up walls, it took him a while too. The public constantly wants a reaction out of you, so they will constantly see if they can push you until you do retaliate. He gave me a hug and told me not to let anyone tell me I can't do what I want my life because it's my life. 

After I met him, of course my friend Mariah went right after me and got down on her knee to propose. It was the best thing ever. I told her that if it was Aaron Paul, I would have done the exact same thing, even though his wife is flawless. I actually don't know what I would have done if it was Aaron Paul. They probably would have had to call an ambulance for me. But I was so happy after I met RJ. He wished us a goodnight and we told him to have an A-1 day. He probably hates us now. 

RJ is doing a tour right now and coming to a lot of different universities, so if he came to your school and you got meet him, let me know in the comments below!

xo, 
embur.

Sweater: H&M
Undertank: Gap
Jeans: BDG
Booties: Sam & Libby

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment –– I do read every single one!

I will always check out the blogs of people who leave thoughtful and genuine comments & comment back when possible, so please do not spam.