BYE, BYE Dr. Pepper!

March 5, 2014

So today is Ash Wednesday (aka the first day of lent), and like every year, I give up the love of my life, Sir Dr. Pepper. 

For those of you that don't know what lent is:
Lent: The period preceding Easter that in the Christian Church is devoted to fasting, abstinence, and penitence in commemoration of Christ's fasting in the wilderness. In the Western Church it runs from Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday and so includes forty weekdays.
For the past four years, I have given up Dr. Pepper, which is like death to me because Dr. Pepper is a drug to me. However, this short cleanse is great for my body. Caffeine is actually a drug, so for the first few days, I have my withdrawals. The most I suffer is some headaches– which is something I'm unfortunately used to since I have chronic migraines. 

Although I am a Christian and lent is something I think I should do to honor Christ, one of the top reasons I do this is because it's a motivator for me to give up something toxic in my life. Every year I tell myself, after lent is over, I am going to cut back on Dr. Pepper all together. That I'm not just giving it up for lent, but for the whole year. That never works. Maybe it will this year. I hope. I just need to remind myself to drink more water, cut back on the sweet tea, and have some healthy snacks every once in the while. Eat some grapes instead of zebra cakes. The broke college student dilemma. 

Since I don't drink coffee, I rely on soda to provide me with my daily dose of caffeine and wake me up. I guess now, I will have to rely on hot chocolate. I really wish I enjoyed those Naked juices or smoothies, but I am the biggest picky eater ever. I told myself that in 2014 I would try more food and be more adventurous with my food palette, but alas, that has not happened yet. Maybe lent this year will be the motivation that I need!

Wish me luck!

xo,
embur. 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment –– I do read every single one!

I will always check out the blogs of people who leave thoughtful and genuine comments & comment back when possible, so please do not spam.